Cannock Chase Commonwealth Cemetery
Located a few hundred yards away, down a quiet country lane, is the Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery.
The cemetery contains the graves of 2143 servicemen of the First World War and 2786 of the WWII bought here from all parts of the UK. 5 of the dead from 1914-1918 and 90 from 1939-1945 are unidentified.
German servicemen from both wars, mainly prisoners of war, were transferred from their burial places to the Chase Military Cemetery between 1964 and 1966. German servicemen buried in British Military Cemeteries and in war grave plots in civilian cemeteries were not moved which explains why the German remains were not moved from the Commonwealth Cemetery up the road.
The remains of the crew from four airships (SL 11, L32, L31, L48) were relocated from Potters Bar, Great Burstead and Theberton to Cannock and lie in a special plot. Field Marshall Ernst Busch is buried after dying in capivity but perhaps the most notorious person to be buried here is the SS General Maximilian von Herff.